Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM review: a classic never diesFriday September 07 2012 Lens Review
Strengths of the Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM include:
- Good resolution, perfect for photographers looking to earn income by taking portraits, or shooting weddings.
- Its brightness, with the lens measuring a transmission score of 2.2 T-stop. This makes the lens incredibly attractive for low light environments, but also for photographers wanting to snap pictures with a very shallow depth of field.
- Its excellent control of chromatic aberration.
- Limited distortion, with the defect remaining absent in most circumstances.
- Good control of lens shading and vignetting.
The camera’s one weakness is the absence of stabilization technology, making it more vulnerable and susceptible to mobtion blur. Photographers will need a steady hand, especially when shooting at low speeds.