Sony Xperia Z2 overview: Revised model takes first place in Mobile rankingsBy Kevin Carter - Monday April 07 2014 Mobile Review
Supplanting the Nokia 808 Pureview at 77 points and achieving the new number 1 position, the Sony Xperia Z2 achieved the highest DxOMark Mobile score to date of 79 points. Although the new Xperia Z2 takes the coveted top spot by just two points it’s a significant achievement nonetheless.
Following in the footsteps of the Xperia Z and Z1, the revised Z2 crams a larger than average 1/2.3-inch type BSI CMOS sensor with a 20.7-Mpix resolution and high-grade Sony G-type 27mm equivalent f/2.0 in a waterproof shell measuring just 8.2mm at its thinnest.
At first sight this seems a similar spec to the Z1, however, the new model offers significantly upgraded movie capabilities with 4K (3840 x 2160) video over its predecessor (please note that only the default video mode was evaluated, not 4K mode).
In our industry-standard benchmarking tests, the revised Z2 impresses with its color and detail preservation, both outdoors and in more challenging lighting, and it retains the fast autofocus of the Z1 while improving its precision. Noise levels remain low with none of the objectionable chroma noise found on some rivals; only some fine-grained luminance type noise is noticeable at times.
Although the Z2 is ranked number one overall, it is in fact in joint first place with the Nokia 808 Pureview for stills image quality, ahead of the Apple iPhone 5S, Nokia Lumia 1020 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 in the that category.
While the Xperia Z2 can’t boast the best video score it is still impressive, more so when you consider the 4K capability, coming in 3rd place in our database, just behind its predecessor and the GoPro Hero3 action-camera.
|DxOMark Mobile Photo|
|Exposure and contrast||
- Impressive detail preservation outdoors. In low light, a high level of details remains visible even if a loss is noticeable compared to outdoors.
- Reasonable noise levels in all conditions. No chroma noise and fine grain size.
- Fast and responsive autofocus with limited errors.
- Good overall exposure.
- Pleasing colors in all conditions.
- Good overall flash performance: exposure, color, white balance, noise and detail.
|DxOMark Mobile Video|
|Exposure and contrast||
- Good stabilization, especially during walking motion.
- Good texture reproduction.
- Low noise levels.
- Autofocus moves step-by-step rather than continuously, and is unpredictable.
- White balance inaccuracies with foliage under daylight illuminant.
- Visible color shading.
- Some aliasing evident.