Revamped Image Quality Website DxOMark Offers New Tools for Comparing Cameras and LensesMonday June 27 2011
With more than 1,700 combination measurements published, DxOMark is now the largest image quality measurement database available on the web.
On June 24, 2011, DxO Labs has announced the launch of the latest version of DxOMark (www.dxomark.com), its online, freely-accessible resource for image quality data and analysis of digital cameras and lenses.
In addition to reporting on more than 1,700 lens/camera combinations, the updated DxOMark site includes new features that enable users to select cameras and lenses that meet their performance metrics, price range, and other important criteria.
DxOMark is the only online publication which offers RAW-based image quality test results. DxOMark is also unique in providing comprehensive lens test results for all compatible camera bodies. All measurements are performed at DxO Labs’ dedicated testing laboratories, following consistent and repeatable protocols, and using tools that are compliant with international and industry standards.
“With a record 1,700 combination measurements published, DxOMark now offers such a large volume of information that we needed to consider how users could quickly select the entries of greatest interest to them,” said Nicolas Touchard, Vice President of Marketing, Image Quality Evaluation at DxO Labs. “This update provides the fastest path through the site without sacrificing any of its usefulness.
“Its support of DxOMark also demonstrates DxO Labs’ consistent focus on better serving the entire imaging community, from amateur photographers to photography experts and journalists,” added Touchard.
Other website improvements include a new and easy-to-use user comments section and a manufacturer specifications section, along with expanded community sharing tools.
Sponsored by DxO Labs, DxOMark is the reliable, objective, manufacturer-independent source that demanding photographers can trust for information about camera and lens image quality.
Although there are valuable printed and web-based photography magazines which cover the image quality of digital cameras, only DxOMark offers the following benefits:
- For all photographers who shoot in RAW and are interested in camera hardware performance, DxOMark is a unique source of image quality information, since all its measurements are performed on straight-from-camera RAW files.
- A fact not always recognized is that lens performance strongly depends on the camera it’s mounted on. Only DxOMark provides lens test results for all compatible camera bodies, so that photographers can truly compare camera lenses.
- The measurements that manufacturers publish for camera settings that impact image quality (such as ISO sensitivity, exposure time, aperture, etc.) very often differ. DxOMark measures these same setting metrics, normalizing the test results so that the performances of cameras and lenses can be compared in a meaningful way.
To ensure precision and reliability, DxO Labs performs its measurements in its dedicated testing laboratories, where conditions and protocols are strictly controlled. These protocols are detailed on the site so that anyone interested in performing their own measurements can do so.
DxOMark measurements rely on DxO Analyzer, the world’s leading turn-key laboratory solution for image quality evaluation. Thanks to its accuracy, completeness, and reliability, DxO Analyzer has become the definitive reference tool for numerous leading imaging industry players, photography magazines, and websites.
About DxO Labs
DxO Labs offers products and solutions ensuring excellence in digital imaging. The company develops and licenses patented intellectual property serving the entire digital imaging chain:
- For consumer electronics OEM/ODM (such as digital camera and camera phone vendors): embedded software and silicon architectures for real time still and video image processing;
- For imaging component suppliers (camera module manufacturers, sensor vendors, and processor vendors) as well as photography journalists and imaging experts: image quality evaluation and measurement tools;
- For serious and demanding photographers, PC and Mac solutions to enhance cameras image quality.
For more information, visit DxO Labs website at www.dxo.com