DxOMark site content can be reproduced for professional use, limited as defined by the DxOMark Conditions of Use (“Fair Use”).
DxOMark is constantly looking for opportunities to partner with the media, including print publications, specialized websites, and blogs. If your website/publication is relevant to the world of digital photography, mobile devices, or imagery, and you would specifically like to publish DxOMark data, please contact us.
Samsung Galaxy S5 overview: Joint leader in DxOMark Mobile rankingsThursday June 12 2014 Mobile Review
Achieving an excellent DxOMark Mobile score of 79 points, the Samsung Galaxy S5 doesn’t disappoint and ties in first place for the coveted top spot with the Sony Xperia Z2.
Like the rival Sony handset Samsung’s new Android Kitkat (4.4.2) powered smartphone boasts a water and dust-resistant case and optional UHD (4K movie clips). Equipped with a slightly extended 5.1-inch SuperAMOLED 1920x1020 pixel screen than its predecessor the GS5 adopts one of the most talked about features of the Apple iPhone 5s…a fingerprint scanner for security and verifying certain payments.
In addition Samsung is keen to support a healthier lifestyle by including a built-in heart rate sensor and has improved the S Health app and personal fitness tracker. But it is of course the new 16-Mpix camera complete with video that’s of interest to us here at DxOMark.
From our industry-standard tests the GS5 has reliable auto-exposure in difficult outdoor lighting. Also it has fast and accurate autofocus in the camera’s ‘trigger-mode’, though noticeably less so in the standard auto-mode. Still images retain a high level of detail in the frame center. The corners are however slightly blurry. Noise levels are well controlled in low-light, albeit then with a noticeable loss of detail.
For video, from our tests, the GS5 is the best performing handset tested to date, achieving a DxOMark Mobile Video score of 79 points, up 6 points on the Sony Xperia Z2.
|DxOMark Mobile Photo|
|Exposure and contrast||
- Good auto-exposure, pleasant, rich and realistic colors, good white balance.
- Low noise level in low light conditions.
- Good sharpness and details in the center of the field
- Almost no color fringing, ringing artifacts barely noticeable.
- Good image quality with flash.
- Noticeable loss of details in low light conditions.
- Non-uniform sharpness across the image field.
- Autofocus inaccuracies during auto mode.
|DxOMark Mobile Video|
|Exposure and contrast||
- Best mobile video quality tested to date.
- Well-balanced device, without major flaws.
- Good autofocus.
- Good rendition of texture.
- Noticeable color inaccuracies under some lighting conditions.
- Good video stabilization but residual motion is higher than the best devices.