The iPhone 13 shares most specs, including front and rear camera setups, with the slightly smaller iPhone 13 mini. Images can be viewed on a 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR display and Apple’s mobile OS is powered by its in-house A15 chipset. Images and video can be saved to up to 512GB of built-in storage.
The front camera hardware for selfie capture is the same across all iPhone 13 models, featuring a 12 MP sensor coupled to a f/2.2-aperture lens with a 23mm equivalent focal length. Let’s see how the iPhone 13 does in our DXOMARK Selfie test.
Key front camera specifications:
- 12 MP 1/3.6″ sensor, 23 mm equivalent f/2.2-aperture lens
- 3D sensor
- Cinematic mode for recording videos with shallow depth of field (1080p at 30 fps)
- HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 60 fps; 4K video recording at 24/ 25/ 30/ 60 fps; 1080p HD video recording at 25 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps
About DXOMARK Camera tests: For scoring and analysis in our smartphone camera reviews, DXOMARK engineers capture and evaluate over 3000 test images and more than 2.5 hours of video both in controlled lab environments and in natural indoor and outdoor scenes, using the camera’s default settings. This article is designed to highlight the most important results of our testing. For more information about the DXOMARK Camera test protocol, click here. More details on how we score smartphone cameras are available here.
Apple iPhone 13
- Luminance noise
- Occasionally inaccurate skin tones, especially in backlit indoor scenes
- Slight anamorphosis artifacts (perspective distortion on faces)
- Low subject exposure when using the flash
- High noise levels in video, especially in low light
- Residual motion in walking videos
- Loss of detail in low light videos
With all iPhone 13 series devices sharing the same front camera specs and processor, it would be fair to assume the Apple iPhone 13 Selfie results are very close to those of the iPhone 13 Pro. We have confirmed this by putting the Apple iPhone 13 through the complete DXOMARK Selfie test protocol.
In this outdoor comparison, you can see that the two cameras produce virtually identical image results.
Like the iPhone 13 Pro, the iPhone 13 achieves an overall Selfie score of 99, a Photo score of 102 and a Video score of 95. Given the identical scores and very similar image results, we are posting only this short article for the Apple iPhone 13. For the full set of sample images and measurements, as well as a complete analysis, please click on the link below and read the full Selfie review of the Apple iPhone 13 Pro.